Friday, November 20, 2009

oh the sickness

Well this week to be honest has been pretty crappy. Tuesday morning Jayci woke up with a pretty high fever and I wasn't feeling the best. By noon Kyla had a fever and I felt awful and by late afternoon we were all super sick, except Presley. She was still happy as could be playing all by herself. I had Jayci and Kyla pretty much dead on the couch with me while Presley roamed free. So Dustin got home that night and stayed home from mutual to take care of his sick family and give poor neglected Presley some attention. That evening I was feeling terrible and couldn't move off the couch so Dustin had to call into work the next day to stay home and help me with the kids. The next day the girls were pretty sick and I wasn't too bad. That evening Presley started sounding like everyone else so I knew she was catching it. Well that night I was feeling ok so Dustin was going to go back to work the next day. Every time one of the kids woke up in the nights Dustin went and got them and took care of them and of course I couldn't sleep through it so I tried to help him, he pretty much brought them into bed with us for a few minutes gave them some more meds and put them back to bed. If one baby woke up, the other one would wake up so he would bring them both into the bed and they both just want to be held, so I would have both of them laying literally on top of me while in the meantime Dustin would get new milk in their sippy cups and the medication for them. He'd come in and all 3 of us in the bed were passed out, I wish I got a picture of it. Quite the site having two little babies sprawled on you passed out. Well that night Kyla woke up and he asked if I could go this time so I said yes, since he went about a hundred times in the last few nights and I was feeling ok. Well in the middle of tucking her back in I got super sick and ran to the bathroom. Dustin came in to help me, of course I had nothing on my stomach which hurts even more than if you do. So I stood up after and I was ghost white, like I looked like I was dead. I saw myself in the mirror and it was weird to see myself that pale. Anyways so I went back to bed and Dustin knew he was going to have to stay home again because I was so sick. That morning I heard them all up downstairs and the girls were all crying so it was hard to sleep through and I felt miserable so I once again ran to the bathroom and did my thing and Dustin came upstairs to help and I still had nothing on my stomach to actually throw up. (Sorry for the details but hey it's a "sick" post, what do you expect) Anyways I once again got ghost white and pretty much passed out, but I could still hear Dustin saying my name and trying to wake me up. I was just too weak and exhausted to respond. I did get up after a few seconds and we called the health link. Up here to get into our family doctor it takes about a week no matter what and I hate the ER and didn't want to haul all the kids there. Well the nurse on the health link said we should all be seen with the symptoms we had. So in we went.
We actually got in really fast. I tried my hardest to be strong and help the kids and Dustin but I was so weak that they put me on IV for dehydration and then gave us all tamiflu and sent us home. So they never confirmed it was H1N1 because they have to do a swab and then they have to send it to Edmonton and it can take up to a week since they are so busy there. You have to be on tamiflu for 5 days anyways so they gave it to us anyways. So now we are all on it, except Dustin since he has been feeling fine and I swear it helped instantly. Today we are a thousand times better. The girls are even up and playing which they haven't done all week. They have just been laying on the couch or cuddling with me. I'm still weak and we all still sound gross and coughing lots but at least we can walk and move and no more fevers. They were constant and it was really hard to keep them down.
I never realized how much work it was to take care of these girls until I had no choice to sit here and watch Dustin do everything. Of course they aren't sick when I have to do it so he had twice as much work as I usually do. He is truly amazing and I never have been so grateful for him. He never complained once, and tried to keep up with the housework and meds and everything. I love him.

This was on Sunday, we weren't sick but it's a cute cuddling picture so it kinda goes...


This is Jayci and Kyla on the first day, they were so sick. They would just sit and cuddle with each other. So sad.
We did a lot of this
Jayci out cold, they would fall asleep anywhere. They were so tired but couldn't sleep in their beds because they would twitch out from their fevers and scare themselves and wake up crying. So they slept on the couch a lot.

And Presley, they seriously would lay like this forever. This is when you know they are sick.
So that's about our week, longer post than I thought but oh well. I'm just glad we are getting better and I never realized how brutal this flu can be. Oh and question, do you still have to get the immunization if you have had H1N1?


Don't forget to enter my giveaway HERE, tomorrow is the last day! I wouldn't want you to miss out!


14 comments:

Jennie Holt said...

Oh Mindy that sucks so bad!! i am so glad you guys are doing better tho!! I had H1N1 and my dr. told me i didn't need to get the shot anymore. which i was happy about cause i didn't want to get it in the first place!!

Ashley said...

That is really crappy! Sorry to hear that you've been sick. It's the worst when you join your kids in their illness. Thank goodness for good hubbies. I'm glad you are all doing so much better!

Unknown said...

Wow. That was brutal for you guys. I'm glad you're getting better....and like Jennie said, no you don't need the shot. The shot is just a dead H1N1 virus so that your body can produce antibodies against it. Since you got the real thing, your body has already produced antibodies against it, so next time your exposed to it, your body will recognize it and get rid of it.....at least I think that's how it works.....

kyleandtaryn said...

Oh my heck Mindy! Thank goodness for Dust, seriously! I'm glad you are feeling better and he's so lucky he stayed healthy through all this, CRAZY!!I hope things get back to normal soon!

the fellers said...

ugh, today I woke up with a pretty nasty cough, and throughout the day I have become super tired, and have a fever and just coughing like crazy, same thing maybe? I dont know, I hate it though...and I dotn think you need to imunization if you have already have it...I just googled swine flu and it said that, but because you are not 100% sure it was swine flu, I dont know...good luck, glad you are all feeling better!

{Sarah} said...

That sucks... and I can totally sympathize! I couldn't even take the tamiflu because I was preggo, so I was SICK for 10 days... it was about 15 before I felt human again. My doctor and the health nurse told me that if you have a lab confirmed case of H1N1 then you don't need the immunization. One benifit of having it right? Glad you are feeling a bit better.

Mindi said...

I'm pretty sure you don't have to get the immunization becauest hey gave you the tamaflu (however you spell it). You are good though! Glad yer getting better though (hopefully!)

The Pratts said...

Yuck, your house sounds like our house!! I'm glad to hear you're starting to feel better, though! Dr. ID put Tim on Tamiflu, and he still told him to get the H1N1 vaccine when he's feeling better. Just in case it isn't H1N1, it would be better to be safe than go through this all again! I've already had my shot, and Cohen is done his first one, but we're still going to take him in for the booster. Hope that helps!

Alison said...

I still think you need the shot because you don't know if it was the H1N1. It could have just been the flu. They aren't testing anyone for the H1N1 anymore because it takes so much time with everyone coming in thinking they have it. So I would still get the shot if I were you. My kids and I all got it yesterday even though I think I might have it.

The Harker Family said...

Oh my goodness Mindy! So sorry to hear that you were all so sick! Those pics are so sad! Glad to hear Tamiflu is like magic, and you are all feeling better!

Amie said...

Sound like a TERRIBLE week Mindy! Your poor little family!! Glad you are all feeling better... loved the pictures.. haha.

Lynn said...

YIKES!! That swine flu is my worst fear. I truly hope we don't get it. Sounds like it was one MAJOR week!

I am SO glad that Dustin was there to help you all out and to call the clinic to see if he should bring you in. Can you imagine if he didn't? Scary. Sounds like you were majorly dehydrated.

Glad it's all over and you all are on the mend. Take it easy for awhile.

The Dudley Bunch said...

Ewww I am sorry! There is nothing harder than being a mom and feeling crappy...hopefully that will be it for the winter sickness...

Tim and Ashlee said...

The doc figured we had it here too a few weeks ago. He told us to still go and get the shot when we can. But we haven't yet. Glad you're all feeling better. Those fevers suck!

);