Monday, March 10, 2008

Kyla's Little Accident

This was her first real accident, and I was always afraid that she would do this. I was baking some cookies for our ward non-talent show and I was having her help ealier in the day. I had to wait for Dustin to get home from work cuz I didn't have chocolate chips. Anyways well it got time to almost leave and I still had a couple batches to cook, do Kyla's hair, get the diaper bag ready, and put cookies into a container. I was kind of rushing around and took one of the batches out of the oven and put it on the counter, I put it a little too close to the edge. (So it's kind of my fault, I told her hot don't touch and she knows but they still forget) Well I turned around and saw her reach up and grab it. She pulled away quickly and of course screamed. I grabbed her and sat her on the counter and ran it under cold water. It must of helped her feel so much better cuz she wouldn't take it out of the water. Which I was glad about. Anyways on her 3 middle fingers it was starting to blister a bit. I put some aloe vera on it and gave her a cold cloth to hang on to cuz we had to leave. Dustin was performing in the talent show so we had to go. Him and some friends did Def Leppard air band, it was quite hilarious and i'll get some pics on here as soon as I can. Kyla wasn't having a fun time at the talent show, she was in pain the whole time. I got a cup of cold water and she stuck her hand in it and wouldn't take it out the whole time. But as soon as it wasn't cold anymore she would grit her teeth and kind of shake cuz it was stinging and want to rub it which I was worried about cuz I didn't want her to pop the blisters. I know exactly how she feels, i'm sure everyone does cuz we've all burned ourselves. I got a glance at her hand and it was blistering really bad, so we decided to take her to Urgent Care. They said she had 2nd dregree burns and that they needed to bandage it up and keep it that way for a few days. We've only had to change it once but thats cuz it kind of came apart. Anyways, not a super big tradegy but it was sure sad seeing her try to be tough when she was in pain. She is functioning quite well with her new stub. It's sad to see her all bandaged up. The blisters still haven't popped yet, maybe today sometime. We now just have to watch for infection and keep the bandage on for a couple more days. Well that was our eventful Saturday night!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww... poor girl! I'm shocked she was so tough... Brighton burned himself on the element once and wouldn't even let us put water on it. How's the packing going? Hopefully you get moved without any problems!

angie said...

Poor little girl!! see ya on Wednesday!

Christine Peterson said...

Hey I must say you are smart to put it under water right away. That usually stops the burn from getting worse. thank goodness. Some people think honey and other crap is good for it but that just makes it worse! Poor pumpkin! Koodos to bring her to Urgent Care too! You're a good Mom.

Tim and Ashlee said...

That sucks. My cousin's little girl grabbed her curling iron by the wrong end when she was about the same age. Totally burnt her hand too.

Lynn said...

Ouch! Thank goodness you were on the ball. She looks so adorable showing the camera her "owie".

the fellers said...

so so sad....I hate seeing kids in pain!!

Anonymous said...

Poor girl! Hi Mindy. I dont know if you remember me, but I am Brandon's cousin (well my husband and Brandon are cousins) Kristy is always talking about you guys. I added you onto my blog. I hope that is okay. You are looking good for someone who is going to have twins!!

The Coopers said...

Hey mindy.. hope you guys are doing good. Congrats on the soon to be twins.. that is so exciting!!!!

);